View Single Post
Old 02-21-2022, 03:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I suppose that different folks will have different motivations when purchasing.
Looks like the hybrid gets 57.5% higher mpg.
If they do the 'Click and Clack' reasoning,'purchase a car you like and drive it until it falls apart', then they're looking at 12-years, at a 57.5% fuel cost advantage, weighed against all other economic realities.
At $ 29.76-pound, the hybrid drive is currently cheaper than the price of brisket
You'd have something for twelve years with the hybrid. The brisket would be at the waste treatment facility withing 48-hours, and wouldn't benefit a person really any better than peanut butter, at $ 3.5 a jar.

57.5% better mpg does not equal 57.5% fuel savings. The hybrid only lowers your fuel bill by 36.5%. This is why I like l/100km (or g/100 miles for those that hate the metric system) it is more directly related to the goal - saving fuel instead of being the inverse.

36.5% is still a hefty savings and pays for the extra upfront cost after 5 years even at cheap USA fuel prices. Economically there is no reason to purchase conventional gas cars anymore.

I'd say your 12 years of life is quite pessimistic. I would expect a Ni-MH hybrid battery to last 15 to 20 years for most people.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-21-2022)