View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
If one has a 100 mile daily commute, then perhaps a 250+ mile range EV makes sense.

For everyone else, a PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) makes the most sense because it achieves the ability to drive most miles on electrons while eliminating range anxiety, at a lower overall cost.

Going for 400+ miles of range in an EV is absurd except for the very few people on earth that regularly have around a 300 mile trip.

Once speed of recharge is addressed, it will vastly reduce the demand for more range. Hardly anyone wants to go more than 200 miles without stopping.
A PHEV might make sense for someone that only has 1 car in the family and wants to spend most of their time driving in EV mode. However, I doubt a PHEV would show much savings over a plain old hybrid once they tax subsidies go away. (Looking a Fuel Economy Gov the Niro PHEV LXS saves $200 a year vs the Niro LXS but costs $3,500 more)

For the majority of families that have one car for every member with a driver license I would say pairing BEVs with hybrids makes the most sense and those EVs don't need long range.

You are correct that once the charging network builds out the need for range goes away. That isn't a technical problem, the current 350 kw chargers top off a car plenty fast. It is a matter of building out the network and that will either take subsidies to get companies to build charging stations before they are economically viable or it will happen slowly and regionally over time.

I will also say that once someone owns an EV the range anxiety goes away. Nothing like returning home every night with mile and miles of range remaining to reinforce the reality that you don't really drive as far as you imagine.