View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Drove the Kia EV6 AWD base model

My younger brothers 2005 Mazda 3 he has babied since new just got a bad rod knock so we spent the day car shopping. He is only interested in new cars and we went to Toyota, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Dodge, Jeep, and Kia. Everybody is very out of stock. There was one Civic, one Accord, one Corolla, zero Camrys, etc. Now the Kia dealer just got in a EV6 they said wasn't for sale but we could test drive. It only had 40 miles on it and was a wind AWD with a $1500 camera package. I think about $52000 msrp. It was a really nice car. A nice combination of buttons and screens, tons of acceleration, 274 mile range, very roomy, not tall, but not short, pretty upright seating. We also drove the twin turbo GT2 Stinger which is supposedly a bit quicker 0-60 but I would say the butt meter thought the EV6 was quicker. Definitely quicker than my 400hp AWD Lincoln.

My brother was impressed enough to put a $1000 down to claim the next unspoken for one coming in in 3-5 weeks. Same options, just a steel grey color. They do have some markups, but they are more they require you to purchase a bunch of add ins, I think about $6000 worth. So it's not exactly just $6000 added to msrp, but the extended bumper to bumper warranty for 10 years, the ceramic coating, the windshield protection plan, the clear bra, etc. Are mandatory add ons. I personally can't drop $60k on a car although he will get that $7500 credit later if he moves all his IRA to roth, or maybe $5000 of it if he doesn't. We probably will help him put a level 2 charger in his garage but he thinks he might get by on the 110v. I doubt it. One funny thing is he owns the home but splits the power bill 3 ways with roommates. He laughed at thinking they now get to pay for 2/3 of his "gas". We have $.10/kw anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-25-2022), JSH (02-25-2022)