View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #67 (permalink)
99metro
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
Curly

I guess we all need a reminder of what our actions, or unfortunate "wrong place at the wrong time" circumstances can do it an instant.

My very last instance of letting "them" get to me was just a few days ago. Extreme tailgater at low speed - me behind a slow big rig just coming off a red light. I slowed down with the throttle. The guy passed slowly, but stared me down as he did this. I think he was a gang-banger by the looks of things. I realized I could have turned into a statistic if there weren't so many witnesses.

This thread has calmed me down greatly. Treat aggressive drivers like you would a wild gorilla (remember the movie Congo). Direct eye to eye contact is a challenge and might just be enough to cause a road rage incident or worse. Don't give them any reason you are getting back at them, or giving them an excuse to take you out. We gotta be safe, and be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Show them what a good driver is - maybe they (or a new driver) can learn from you.

I know they make your blood boil, but consider that in the moment that it does boil, that it is a challenge to yourself on anger management. I know I am a work in progress, but I'm progressing. I want to make it home for dinner tonight, and hypermile again tomorrow.

later