View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Techie_Stirlingite View Post
That's one of my questions - will the 60-lb-ft torque of the assist motor be enough to spool the engine up to idle speed quickly?
What engine? That is a key piece of information you left out of your original post. What type of vehicle are you attempting to hybridize?

Hyundai's 48V hybrid motor is 12 kw / 55 Nm (16 HP / 40 lb-ft) That is enough to spin up their 1.6L turbo diesel.

Ram's eTorque 48V hybrid system adds 90 lb-ft to the V6 and 130 lb-ft to the V8.

To answer one of your original questions I would not wait for high load conditions to feed in electric power. I would add it in earlier. Maybe not just after idle speed but early enough it is working in your day to day driving. (You would need to instrument your car to find out your load patterns)

Also be careful with handling your electrical components. The limit for high voltage is 50V. (That is why automakers use 48V systems) With high voltage you get into situations were touching the wrong thing can kill you and even unplugging something under load can seriously injury or kill you. We got to see a sorts of gory stuff in our high-voltage training at work that allows us to enter HV areas and work on HV vehicles. Watch a video on arc flash.

Personally if I was trying to add hybrid power to regular car I wouldn't worry about stop / start. I would just use the electric motor to feed in power and regen. Some 1st generation Honda Insight owners did that with a lever on the center console. Forward is power / back is regen.