View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
The_Techie_Stirlingite
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
What engine? That is a key piece of information you left out of your original post. What type of vehicle are you attempting to hybridize?
I would think a system like this would be most advantageous for 4-cylinder vehicles. Anything bigger would see negligible benefits from the assist. Maybe an utterly torque-less V6 might see a benefit, but generally speaking, the more low-end grunt the engine had, the less benefit the assist would give.

I've instrumented my grandparents' Accord to find out load patterns. Normal city acceleration is around 70-80% calculated load, and highway cruising is about 50-70% but rapidly spikes to near 100 climbing even a slight hill in top gear. I figured about 50% would be a good point to begin assisting, maybe biasing that up based on speed so I don't drain the entire battery cruising on the highway. Re-gen would be based on DFCO status, again maybe biased based on speed.

As for your point on start-stop, we need to move on from idling. I'm honestly puzzled why start-stop isn't mandatory (it's 2022.) It isn't just advantageous for FE, the lack of vibration, emissions, and noise is a great thing.

Last edited by The_Techie_Stirlingite; 02-27-2022 at 12:44 PM..