View Single Post
Old 03-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #687 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,342 Times in 4,746 Posts
satellite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Okay, I have an associates in applied science for wind power generation and I can't understand why wind turbines would need satellite coms to operate. Probably some stupid German idea. I guess they'll take anything and make it more complicated for no reason.
I would want something that doesn't get knocked out by a solar storm and if it did the redundant backup would decouple from the coms and go under local control, monitoring frequency and voltage at the tie in substation.
I would be trying to use over the wire coms, where the signal goes over the transmission lines and I know Germany was using this technology at one point for Internet.
A guess is that, during episodes when wind overwhelms the grid's ability to absorb all the power ( which has been reported at times ) they must curtail production as they've now 'over-wheeled'.
'Wireless' satellite communications would be a cost-effective way to communicate to each turbine, as no line-of-sight cell towers exist out at sea.
Grid-scale batteries may be swept into the void, storing the excess for other period.