View Single Post
Old 03-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #869 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
The risks aren't equivalent. The odds of losing all rent money is 100%. The odds of losing less than 100% of mortgage payments high.

Doug can get a nice 5% VA mortgage. If it were me, I'd get the most house I could convince a lender to finance and rent out the extra rooms, paying all expenses using the rental income alone.

That method all but guarantees you will never lose the house if income is disrupted.

Your situation is different being married with children and all, but for someone with no legal dependents, it can be a quick path towards financial stability and then freedom.

Admittedly, being responsible for the upkeep of property is a huge burden, but then again I end up doing all my own maintenance anyhow because I want it done immediately and correctly. The only time I've requested maintenance was when the dryer at the apt was no longer drying clothes. I troubleshot the issue from the dryer first, and determined it must be exhaust blockage somewhere well beyond where I could see. Turns out they had an inappropriately sized bird screen that would collect tiny particles of lint.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-03-2022 at 06:28 PM..