Thread: In a nut shell
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachMeToMPG View Post
I would really like to learn about water/meth injection, propane, cooking grease and compressed natural gas as fuel source or supplemental fuel sources.
Methanol is mostly used in order to prevent freezing, and it also leads to an easier vaporizing of the water. In order to prevent cavitation of the metallic components of the water/methanol injection, de-ionized water is recommended.

I'd take propane with a grain of salt, and if I would ever mess with it in a Diesel I'd try liquid-phase injection.

Cooking grease may be easier on the VW than on the BMW. Have you ever heard about Elsbett? It used to offer vegetable oil conversion kits for many Diesel-powered vehicles and special machinery, and among the few engines with direct injection to which Elsbett supplied single-tank fuel systems which didn't require cold-starting with regular Diesel fuel were some Volkswagen and IIRC Renault engines. But anyway, nowadays due to the risk of an increase of DPF clogging, even though I'm favorable to vegetable oils as a motor fuel, I'd take it with a grain of salt too.

Supplemental CNG injection became more usual in my country in recent years. Even though it used to be more usual in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, I have already seen it in Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina.

Quote:
I have 13 years of military service. 2 tours to Afghanistan. I teach Aviation Maintenance now.
I studied Aviation Maintenance, and some of my teachers had a military background. There were also other teachers who, even though I'm not sure if they had any military background, they worked at Varig.