View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 11:10 PM   #61 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
In January, the right-side steering spindle failed at 40 mph due to hitting a deep pothole. I was unhurt, and dragged it back home 15 miles. I don't have AAA, and was not about to pay $150+ to have a two truck get it back.

I'm waiting on a replacement spindle to arrive from the UK. With the weather warming up, I very badly want to resume progress on this project. One of the lessons learned from the ordeal is that I need to design a sturdier spindle, and one which can accommodate a Cotter Pin axle.

In the meantime, I've been riding the Milan around a lot. Its efficiency is something I really desperately want to translate to the next design iteration of the custom velo. A more practical version of the Milan, with a wider track, motorcycle tires/wheels/brakes, roll cage, and over-powered electric motor would be a very interesting vehicle.

I take my Milan out onto Rte 141 to do top speed runs because it is relatively flat for long stretches. I can almost hit 50 mph, which considering I have no motor installed, is testament to its efficiency. I've also started doing squats via barbell training in order to get faster. Maybe I'll be able to hit 55 mph next year.