View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 07:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Plush1992
EcoModding Lurker

War Pig - '01 Ford Taurus SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriley4409 View Post
A few thoughts:

1. Based on my previous experience with a Ranger, this 2.3L engine REALLY likes full synthetic oil. It makes a noticeable difference in fuel efficiency. My favorite was Mobil1 5w30.

2. Swapping the engine fan/clutch setup for an electric cooling fan properly set inside a fan shroud makes a noticeable difference in fuel economy and power available at the rear wheels.

3. Any weight reduction in things that spin will reduce the power that it takes to get your truck moving. Lighter tires, wheels, aluminum driveshaft swap, etc would all be beneficial.
My rear main seal isn't leaking oil but I can tell that it does drip very slightly and I'm afraid fully synthetic may cause that slight drip to worsen. It is a 28 year old truck after all. I'll have to think about it.

Id love to find lighter weight 15 inch rims for my truck especially ones that won't break the bank. Ive got the Mazda Navajo rims on but I feel I might be able to find a lighter weight set of oem rims at the junkyard.

I'd also love to try and find an aluminum drive shaft aswell. I heard some old Ford aerostars had them. Maybe I can find one for cheap.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...s-33334-2.html