View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Curly1 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1 View Post
The car rides much better and handles better with the Goldline lowering springs. The stock HHR would get blown around badly in cross wind or at higher speeds (60 and up). Now it is much better.
I also went with taller tires at the same time and not sure how much it has helped. I was so amazed at how much better it rode that I put the stock wheels and tires back on to see if it handled and cornered better because of the lowering or the tires. I think most of the improvement in ride is due to lowering. The stock HHR sits up too high with too soft of springs so I do not know if you would get the same improvments from your vehicle.
The tires should have a 10% speedometer error but I have not been able to verify that with my GPS. Seems to be closer to 5%? and that does not make any sense. According to several tire web sites and it says a 10% error.
According to my DIC the mileage is about the same but if there is an actual 10% error then in reality I have a 10% improvement?
Bottom line is I like the lowering and tires but the improvements is hard to say exactly how much. Curly
Thanks for the info. Some cars come with odometer error "built in", . That could be contributing to what you are seeing. If I had done things squeeky clean to begin with, I would have done a GPS check with my stock tires to have a baseline for my odometer. But, I wasn't as obsessed with MPG back then.

It's not a mechanical mod, but I agree with TomO regarding rear wheel/fender skirts. I know I have seen PT Cruisers with aftermarket fender skirts, so I would think the same would be available for the HHR.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society