Thread: I'm back!
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 02:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
atomicradish
EcoModding Apprentice

6th Gen Coupe - '02 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl
90 day: 28.01 mpg (US)

Zombie Accord - '98 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.71 mpg (US)

Ol' Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 14.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It's been a quite common mod in my country, even though it's mostly done in simpler cars. Coil packs from some Chevrolets are often adapted to models from other manufacturers too.
I have considered it, but only because I needed to replace my distributor. It was leaking oil internally and creating a huge mess. An OEM Honda dizzy was around $300 but I opted to try one from Amazon for $80. I installed it 2 months ago and it's been working perfectly. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to switch over having just invested that money in the distributor.

With that said, I'm always interested in upgrades to the car. Coil on plug does have its advantages with regards to emissions and performance, but how would that translate on a commuter car that's driven gingerly at best? My 98 V6 Accord has the same EPA fuel economy ratings as the 2000 V6 Accord which has a direct ignition system.

The four-cylinder Accord is also leaking terribly from its distributor. This one would cost $400 from Honda which is out of the question. I was just hired to work for a Honda dealership so maybe I'll get a discount on parts and change my mind, but I'm leaning towards rebuilding it.

What kind of performance gains would I expect if I instead chose to upgrade to direct ignition? Fuel economy would increase by how much? Performance?

And on a sad note, the car hasn't been getting as good of mileage as I thought. My scan gauge wasn't properly calibrated. It was off by nearly 20% at the last fill up. Close to 25 MPG .... honestly more in line with my expectations by disappointing nevertheless.