View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 11:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
ltwargssf
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
This is not necessarily true; current eco-cars use cool, high pressure intake air routed from in front of the radiator (Honda Insight, Toyota Prius, etc.).

After seeing these intakes at the Chicago Auto Show, I decided to try ducting my intake to the front of the car in 2020:

I verified that intake air temperature had been reduced by monitoring it on the Scangauge.

Statistical analysis (hypothesis testing--compares sample data to the normal distribution to determine if there is enough evidence to claim a population parameter has changed) of the fuel consumption for the 6 months previous (Jan-June) compared to the 6 months after (July-Dec) showed that consumption had been reduced, from an average 4.49 L/100 km to 4.09 L/100 km.

Those scoops may give you cooler IAT's but my goal with making my intake was to avoid hydro locking the engine. I made a pipe from the intake box to the inside of the drive side fender where it goes up and picks up air from behind the headlight. It gets me IAT's similar to ambient air so a scoop is really over kill and more risks of hydrolcking in the rain.