View Single Post
Old 04-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #112 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How do I insulate the last ≈25 square feet of the shed?

I replaced the 3 joists and had my brother help me move the drywall into the shed on Thursday. I wasn’t able to work on it yesterday, but I saw 5 clients, mowed both lawns, and bought stir sticks and drywall clips.

I have insulated everything but the front, which I plan on changing, and the outer 2 spaces on the back wall.

It seems narrower than 24" and I need to put in 2x4s for drywall, so it will be a couple of inches narrower, but still much closer to 24" than 16".

The easiest solution so far is to buy a $105 bag of wide batts, cut the top at an angle and a couple of inches from the side.

Then I have 8 complete batts and no use for them.

The cheapest solution is to buy a $26 roll of narrow insulation, cut around 10 25" strips, remove 1.5" of insulation from each end, and mount them sideways.

Cut, trim, and install 10 pieces.

I had thought that I could fill in that area with Great Stuff, but I tried to look up how much volume one 16-ounce cans made and this page had several people giving wildly different answers and arguing about it.

I got lost in all of the math and arguments, but it looks like the person who came up with
Quote:
Using basic math volume formulas and the detail that a 16 ounce can of Great Stuff will make a 1/2" diameter bead, by 232' long, the volume of foam in that bead is ~0.31 cubic feet or an equivalent block of ~12" x12" x 4".
was right. Someone claimed he was wrong and someone else responded
Quote:
[N]o he was right. (((0.5/12)^2)/4)*3.1416*232 = 0.316 cuft
Using Google's volume calculator, I put in 0.02083333' for the radius and 232' for the height and got V ≈ 0.32.3

Now that the sun is out I went out, leaned over a crooked pile of drywall that I need to magically shift over to actually put in drywall, and the wind blew the doors closed.

Whenever I lean something onto the doors the wind still blows the doors closed, and the prop falls on the insulation, ripping the paper.

From what I could tell, the gap on the left is 20.5", and the one on the right is 19.5

Oh goodie.

So, I need to fill 19 and 18 inches.

That is just as close to 23” as 15”.

Anyway, Great Stuff. .316 cubic feet = 547 cubic inches.
12 x 12 x 4 = 18.5 x almost 8.5 x 3.5

I put my clamp edge guide on the door and measured the right side: 78.5” and 69”, so 74”

I would need almost 9 cans per side.
Would you want to use 18 cans of Great Stuff?
Big Gap Filler is $5.37 in bulk, so $96.67 and torture.

I could buy more foamboards. I need at least one more to insulate the floor, which seems to be less than 12” on-center. I could get 5 9.5” boards and use Great Stuff to seal the gaps.
If I buy one more 4x8 board I would have one 9.5” strip left over.

If I buy a board for the back wall I could cut it to shape, but a little small, and fill in the gaps with Great Stuff. The board would be $50, but I guess that I would cut it in half to fit in my car.

That actually sounds pretty good.

Lowe’s has a big box of spray insulation, but it is a couple times as much as I need, and $388.

One thought that I had was to spend $33 on a sheet of foamboard, cut it into 3.5” strips, put 4 on the left, 3 on the right, and then use 15” batts, but I would only use about half of each.

I could spend a little less on a half-inch board and cut twice as many times, but one piece of foamboard to rule them all sounds much better.

My sister is supposed to drive up today and we are finally celebrating Xistday with my niece and nephew(s).

I celebrated it with the midgets, but I wasn’t able to do anything I wanted. We watched “Canadian Bacon” which was all right.

Hanging out with the kids was the best part.

The next day we watched “Into the Spiderverse” and they destroyed my piñata.

On Saturday I made a vanilla cake from a box and added 3 cups of sliced frozen mangoes and Mom, my brother, and I loved it.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, Mama Midget didn’t talk to me and complained on my birthday and repeatedly afterwards “If you loved me, you would have…!”

By her logic she didn’t love me.

Weird how that didn’t work out.

At least once my sister and her kids slept in the shed. At least once they slept in a tent in the backyard. I am fixing up the shed and have a big tent set up, but they are staying in a hotel.

My niece is the same age as the younger Alaskan and the 13-year-old actually seemed less mature, so the 3 of them would have gotten along infinitely better than the mother and I did.