View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Blister
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by feddup View Post
It depends on how you want to look at it. My 08 Honda Fit cost $16,105 but the last time I checked Kelly Blue Book it was worth about 17.6K with 8K miles on it. I get just under 40 MPG with conservative driving, it handles superbly, power everything and I can put an appliance like a clothes dryer in the back. Yeah 16K is steep for an econobox but people are amazed that it feels like a Mercedes inside. Time has moved on and you get what you pay for. If you're careful and view your car purchase like an investment then your long term costs can be minimized.
Here's a little something on the Honda Fit I found interesting. It probably applies to the prius thread stating that sales were minute here in the U.S..

Quote:
For 2006, 27,934 Fits were sold in the United States. 45,953 units were sold between January 2007 and October 2007. A total of 73,887 Fits have been sold in the U.S. since its introduction in April 2006 through October 2007. Due to high demand, Fits are in short supply and it has been reported that many dealers have been selling above MSRP.[8][9]

The 2008 Fit is largely unchanged from the 2007 with the exception of the TPMS and new windshield wipers that abandon the large rubber blade design to a more traditional rigid plastic with thin rubber blade design. MSRP has also increased roughly US$100.
Honda Fit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, while some were working overtime to make out the U.S. as a bunch of overweight gas guzzlers, auto suppliers weren't actually supplying cars that were in demand, causing their costs rise... Interesting, very interesting. Somehow I doubt that the total price jackup was limited to the $100 dollar range.

I also failed to find another country that was having a "shortage" on Honda Fits. Looks like a set-up to me.