View Single Post
Old 04-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Have you never considered blocking the grill from the outside instead of the inside? Wouldn't it lead to a greater aerodynamic benefit?
We don't know without testing, and unfortunately the difference between the two will likely be much smaller than what I can measure on the road.

I did, however, redo the grill blocks--but not because of that; purely for aesthetics. I used the same heavy plastic I made the mirror blanking plates out of and was able to cover part of the center section of the upper grill in addition to what I had before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The air is technically stagnant at that location.
We can't know where the stagnation point is without measuring, or how large an area is stagnant. I don't even know where it is/how big it is yet, since I haven't tufted the front of the truck or measured pressures. Plus, if this truck behaves like the 1988 Chevrolet C/K and 2015 Ford F-150 (two of the papers I mentioned above), the stagnation point will change with other modifications such as an air dam (I'll be testing various air dam configurations in the coming weeks).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-14-2022), freebeard (04-12-2022)