View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
exlupoowner
EcoModding Lurker

Hi there,

I lived in Germany from 1998 until 2004. We purchased a new Lupo 3L in the 2000 and loved it! At the time we were living in Lübeck because my fiancee was in school there, but my job was in Berlin (I played trumpet in the Pit Orchestra for the Disney Musical "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame"). Rather than renting a second apartment, we decided we'd spend the money on the Lupo so I could afford to commute the 300 km (about 200 miles) each way to work 5 or 6 days a week.

The Lupo was GREAT!!!!!!!

In eco mode it truly could get by on 3l/100km (about 79mpg), as long as you kept the speed at 100 km or lower on the Autobahn. But even at a steady 120 km (75 mph) cruising speed, it used only around 3.8 l/100km (still over 60 mpg). And if you wanted to move, it could reach 180 kmh on level ground (about 110 mph). One time while traveling downhill on the Autobahn I managed to break 200 km/h (125 mph). I passed a guy in a big Jaguar sedan - you should have seen the look on his face!!!

When we moved to the States in 2004 I checked into importing the Lupo 3L and also our BMW Turbo Diesel Kombi (Station Wagon). I was told it would be nearly impossible since both these cars had never been officially brought into the States so there were no emmissions or crash tests available. Especially now, with gas prices at over $4 per gallon, I am SO regretful I didn't find a way to bring the Lupo here. Hybrids are an absolute JOKE. I remember reading about the "wonder" of the new Hybrids that got up to 50 mpg - what a joke! I already owned a vehicle that got 80 mpg.

Best wishes,

John