View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #65 (permalink)
Duffman
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
James,

I strongly disagree
the reality of radiation is much worse than monsters
you cannot see it, tastes it or detect without a mechanical device
it last for tens of thousands of years
it cannot be cleaned up or remediated in any way other than burial & time
and it kills you in horrible ways, often slowly and grotesquely

I would take Godzilla instead of radiation any day
I have to disagree, James is not off the mark.
The reality is radiation is naturally occurring all around us. Our bodies are even more radioactive than the atmosphere we live in. The facts get lost in the fear mongering. Look into the chernoble disaster and the 3 mile accident. First off let me say that Chernoble could never happen in the west, the reactors are different as is our society. But look into the body count of chernoble and 3 mile and look into the radiation levels of 3 mile.
Secondly the waste, most of it is reprocessible into new fuel, what is not is a small amount, how much are we currently sitting on? The other thing that gets lost is the hotter the radiation is, the shorter the half life is. Also it is an exponential decay function, so while waste may be around for 100,000 years, it is not dangerous for that whole time period.

I think if you find these answers yourself you are more likely to believe it that if I tell you, but the fact of the matter is Godzilla would kill a lot more people in 30 seconds than the nuclear industry has killed to generate electricity.