View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 04:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
dieselpicasso
EcoModding Lurker

I think for any absolute geeks, or extremists wanting to play it safe.... Best thing would be to opt for thinnest recommended oil, a smudge above the minimum mark on oil dipstick.

For the extremist, who is going to know and understand the risks, could opt for thinner then recommended oil and be right on the minimum of dipstick - however regular changing of oil would then be highly advisable due to concentration of contaminants increasing.

For most of us, running the right oil around halfway on dipstick should be fine ��.... But I don't see any benifit to going to the maximum unless you aim to change oil at long intervals.

The gains, to using less and thinner oils are real, probably very small...... But the risks are real too.

Manufacturers probably have a cautious margin for error so personally for me - I'd feel ok, though slightly uncomfortable running on the minimum if I was to regularly check the level.

If I was parking the car on a steep road or strange angle, on a regular basis I'd think again and add a bit more oil to be safe.