Thread: Side Mirrors...
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Don't ever stop asking questions! The most stupid one would be the one never asked.
As you've asked it, I'm unsure that the specificity of it has been properly addressed.
Here's some points to ponder:
1) The mirrors are only a fraction of the frontal area of the car.
2) Their frontal area and interference drag is part of the car, although one might wonder if the vehicle's critical turbulent boundary layer would be achieved in advance of the mirrors ( if you treat the mirrors as 'satellites' which orbit in formation close to the host vehicle ).
3) The small size of the mirrors suggest that their own Cd will not become 'constant' until a higher velocity is achieved.
4) Which begs the question of whether or not the 'vehicle's' Cd would require the higher velocity to 'flatline ' its Cd.
5) Convention has it that, around 20-mph, the vehicles Cd is 'fixed.' Warts and all.
6) If we accept that, then whatever percent of the total drag we attribute them to, that percentage would remain a constant, until the vehicle reached transonic velocity, where the air began to compress, and shockwaves could begin to form on certain areas of the vehicle.
Is that cloudy enough for you?
thanks for that answer. any suggestions on how to mount the little side tabs? off the top of my head, i was thinking of getting a tiny block of wood thats a few inches long, drill a 10mm screw into it, and then just insert it into one of the 3 10mm hole slots from the former mirror, then just stick the 3m tape mirror onto that little wooden arm sticking out. maybe use some high grade gorilla glue combined with the 3m sticky thats included. then obviously build some type of aero shell around it
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-18-2022)