View Single Post
Old 04-24-2022, 09:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I jumped through it in parts so didn't see it all. But I do agree with him to a degree.

Carbs do have an advantage of getting fuel to atomize more due to the distance, and therefore time, that the fuel needs to evaporate in the intake. Direct injection leads to more particulate matter, a by-product of liquid fuel droplets in the combustion chamber.

But angles and turbulance actually tend to be enemies, not friends to atomization. Any liquid that spins tends to spin out of suspention and pool.

Perhaps the most ideal intake would be one that has a single straight runner into each cylinder with a single carb at the end. Also, with the intake designed more for average power, not full power. You want your intake runners as thin as possible to keep air speed up and therefore atomization. Big intakes with a central carb let the air thru slowly at cruising speeds which lets fuel fall from suspention.

The cross-plane V8 design also is more balanced than an inline 4 cylinder or a V-6. The balancing helps reduce vibrations without the need for balancing shafts. Both balancing shafts and vibrations sap away energy resulting in reduced power.

I agree with what your saying 100%

In the video he said with just the lawn mower carb the engine ran rich so he added the bi-pass valve and then it ran at stoich. I was referring to when he was just using the lawn mower carb itself it couldn't even flow enough air even at light load freeway.

All the things you mention is what I use on my setup.
Lean burn 20:1 to 30:1 A/F depending on load.
Cold EGR
FE Cams that are adjustable
With all the above I can achieve -1.0 to +1.0 inch/hg at very light load steady state driving conditions.

Last edited by pgfpro; 04-24-2022 at 10:16 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (04-24-2022)