View Single Post
Old 04-24-2022, 10:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
I have driven both the 2nd gen and 3rd gen Prius quite a bit - 50-60 mpg in the 2nd gen and 60-70 mpg in the 3rd gen average. For the 2nd gen, accelerating with the instant mpg at half your current speed in mph seems to give the greatest accelerating efficiency. For the 3rd gen, accelerating with the power level just before it enters the red zone offers the greatest acceleration efficiency. Read both of those tips either on here or on PriusChat, and they seem to hold up from my driving.

The 3rd gen Prius has a nifty feature where the physical brakes aren't pressed much (or at all?) if the regen bar isn't maxed out on the display, so efficient braking does its best to never max out the regen bar. Unfortunately the 2nd gen Prius doesn't have a display feature like that so I typically just coast in gear with my food off the pedal with that little bit of regen dragging.

The biggest downfall of the Prius on short trips is the stupid emissions feature that makes the engine idle high for the first 2-5 minutes of operating yet only uses EV to move the car unless you floor it. To solve that I typically use P&G and put the car in neutral at lights and while coasting until the car warms up to save on gas. So short, 2 mile trips in the Prius are now 35 mpg rather than 25.

For both cars 45 mph cruise control has always yielded the best fuel economy. Best trips around 68 mpg in the 2nd gen and ~75 in the 3rd gen. Never was able to get P&G to work but that supposedly does better. 55-60 on highway is best, 70 and above definitely reduces fuel economy by a lot. Pretty standard for most cars. Speeds under 30 mph EV only always if possible, 30-40 mph was hit or miss depending on the road and battery charge level, it would either be 30-40 mpg or 80-90 mpg. Seems like in the 30s mph is where it generally tries to use a higher load to charge the battery to get better engine efficiency per the BSFC charts. Possible to get better mpg there than at 45 mph, but I've always found 45 mph to be the most consistent.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)