View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
The best use case for solar on an ICE is a cheap small panel is to maintain the 12v and to run a fan in the summer.

The Prius solar option was said to keep the interior of the car 20-40 degrees cooler and that was using expensive antique panels that would cost a small fraction of the original cost if priced today. As panels become commodities that are cheaper than toilet paper you will see them in more places.

I picked up a small flexible panel that plugs in the cigarette lighter for a dollar from a junk store, it doesn’t even output an amp but in the winter months when my truck might set for weeks
I still come in to a full battery with a fast start

I just set the panel on my dash when I know I won’t be using it for a while.

Before this my truck would always drain the battery in cold weather, sometimes in about a week, sometimes closer to 2, doesn’t happen anymore

True I could pop the hood and use a trickle charger but honestly I’ve had better luck with this and my battery is never dry or dead, my fully automatic trickle charger would many times error out and let the battery go dead anyway, the dumb one if left long enough would dry the battery out
I haven’t had that happen with this solar maintainer, well worth $1

Last edited by rmay635703; 04-27-2022 at 11:15 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-27-2022)