View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Why do low-mileage JDM engines exist?

Presumably you could find low-mileage engines for almost everything, but I have seen many references to $300 low-mileage JDM engines. I have never seen one for less than $800 and shipping an engine is expensive.

People claim the law requires replacing the engine before 60,000 miles, but that doesn't make any sense, not even for 1990-2010 Subarus.

Mom's 2004 Camry has 200,000 miles and runs and drives perfectly.

My cars are 1999-2004 with 205,000+ miles and maybe the 2002 Civic that I bought with a bad head gasket had a bad engine, but she drove!

Answer the phone Crazy J!

I have read that people don't drive much in Japan, which makes sense, but only a part of the story.

Out of curiosity, I was looking up D17A engines for that 2002, and I found:
Quote:
Question: Why are the miles on our engines so low?
Answer: When cars in Japan begin to approach 45-60,000 miles, they must undergo a rigorous inspection called the [Jidōsha Kensa Tōrokuseido] in Japan. If any part of the vehicle has violations (including windshield defects, bald tires, etc.), the entire car fails and must undergo re-inspection. In many cases, vehicle owners are encouraged to sell off and/or recycle their car before the [Jidōsha Kensa Tōrokuseido] is required so that they may simply buy another vehicle rather than spend large amounts of money on a costly state vehicle inspection.
https://jdmenginezone.com/pages/faq

Apparently the cool kids just call it "Shaken."
Quote:
A vehicle inspection (shaken or JCI inspection) is a compulsory inspection for all vehicles on the road in Japan that must be conducted every 2 years. It ensures that all vehicles on the road are properly maintained and safe to drive. The inspection also checks that vehicles have not been illegally modified. Along with the inspection, payments for Japanese Compulsory Insurance (JCI, or compulsory vehicle liability insurance) and weight tax for the upcoming 2 years must be made. It's illegal to drive vehicles in Japan without having this inspection complex carried out.
That indicates that a Civic, which would presumably weigh more than 1 ton, would have cost about 37,000 JPY: https://groups.oist.jp/resource-center/shaken

Duck Duck Go says that is 三万七千円.
Google says that is $282.91 US.

I am not buying a new car because I have one expense that costs less than $300!