View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 11:41 AM   #32 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Yea I expected the low ground clearance, which is why it needs to be designed to give when it contacts the ground. Up town the drives are steep enough to be an issue, besides that everything is pretty flat here.

The little I looked, the under side of the car doesn't look amazing for areo, it's better than average I'd say, but I see area's that could be cleaned up I think.

I'm still learning about the car. I set my cruise at 40mph for a mile and most of the way it ran on pure electric. Then I went 45mph, and of course charging the battery is going to take more effort. I'm not sure where the limits would be, but I suspect if I went 55mph, the load on the engine is in the ideal range for it's peak efficiency (has anyone looked into that?). If my thinking is right, running on battery at the slower speeds, then going a high speed hurts mpg more than running on the engine the whole time. The car doesn't know what we will do next, so for peak mpg there needs to be some manual control. The only way I know to make the engine run is to turn on the AC or demand heat from the engine besides touching the gas pedal enough to get it to start.