View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 11:44 PM   #40 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Finally got to do a fill up in my car. I did it to two clicks at the pump and it seems to be pumping a lot slower than it was before. Scan gauge said 97.5% full. Not sure what the original fillup was to, but based on the miles went and gallons, it ended up 46.25mpg. I'm guessing I got a bit more gas in it this time than last time though. I've done a lot of messing around, poor driving etc at the start so understandable it's not quite 50.

For the P0420 code, I did some reading and people said a cat cleaner can work well sometimes if the cat isn't completely toast (melted). Put in Cataclean today and got some miles on it then filled it like the instructions says. Not cheap stuff, but it appears to be working so far. Went on a 160 mile round trip or so and check engine light hasn't come back yet.

Talking about the trip, since I reset the scangauge and the display on the car about the same time, I can compare their readouts. It looks to be within about 2% of each other.

Pretty much every trip on the scan gauge (few stops along the way) I hit 50mpg give or take a little bit and that's traveling at 60mph. Trip home had no stops, going against the wind more, and ended up at 50.1mpg on the scangauge (55mph on the country roads), so it is possible to get 50mpg going around 55mph with this car if you ignore the cold start warmup process.

My grill block seems to not be holding up too great, getting a bit wavy, the tape is coming apart lol. Kind of expected though, just was a temp thing anyway.

I noticed the engine seems to cool off super fast on this car. Even with the lower grill block after about 30 mins it was already down in the 140's. I think sealing up the front end/engine bay a bit should give some reasonable benefits, then again, I'm used to a corolla engine that ran slightly hotter, around 195F and cast iron block and more coolant I'm guessing, so it would hold heat for quite a long time.

I've been mainly driving on the cruise control, it's always making the engine run fairly hard to catch back up for tiny hills in the road and such, so I think the load based cruise will make a massive difference. Being able to have the pedal perfect for engine off coating would be nice too with say a push of a button. EV mode button for sure would be useful, I found a fair number of times when I was costing down and it didn't want to turn off the engine untill stopped. It's weird because sometimes it will with out having a complete stop since startup for the 5 secs, there seems to be a timer involved or something as well or the stop route for mode 4.
The Following User Says Thank You to ps2fixer For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (05-02-2022)