View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 10:32 PM   #42 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I'm curious what type of engineers you are seeing struggling to find jobs. My first question is are they willing to relocate to hot job markets.

We have hired a few hundred engineers in the past few years and struggled to find candidates and we are fine with taking a new grad with zero engineering job experience. (Zero job experience of any kind is a red flag and I'm shocked at how many 23-24 year-old college grads have never worked a job for a paycheck)

Its a job.
When I was starting out it was physically impossible to relocate to a hot job market because I didn’t have the assets to obtain an apartment in said area and none of the jobs provided relocation assistance. Now that I don’t need any assistance I could get it, go figure.
The place I work found me, I didn’t find them, (never thought about working where I do if I hadn’t gotten a direct contact no idea what place I would have ended up)

From what I’ve been seeing 90% of the “engineering positions “ are contract, temp or managerial , which usually aren’t appealing or necessarily a good idea out the gate to a new grad.

The new grads I’ve encountered (IE/ME) are just complaining about having to send hundreds of resumes but not getting any feedback or communication for periods of 6 months or longer. It’s unlikely out of the hundreds of thousands of companies they are finding the places that actually do take a chance on new engineers.

If you belong to a place looking for labor consider reaching out directly to the engineering colleges in various areas. I am certain the grads would appreciate some spam from a job in their field before leaving college into the ether.

Last edited by rmay635703; 05-03-2022 at 10:39 PM..