View Single Post
Old 05-08-2022, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Postal268
EcoModding Lurker

FrankenRex - '90 Honda CRX HF
90 day: 44.02 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 38.23 mpg (US)

Golf Cart - '12 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
90 day: 127.77 mpg (US)

Easter Egg - '88 Honda CRX HF
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
In my country it's quite common to see commercial trucks resorting to a swamp cooler instead of a proper air conditioner. Even though such swamp coolers are also resorting to water as a coolant, which allows them to run a comparatively smaller fan, most likely a large fan would still require fewer power to run than the compressor of an air conditioner. BTW maybe you could be tempted to try making your own all-electric air-cycle air conditioner, more similar to the one fitted to aircraft than to the regular vapour-cycle ones...
Yeah, I designed my own sort of swamp cooler last year where I had a small cooler filled with ice and a small fountain pump that would pump the ice water through some copper tube that I coiled in-front of a fan. Issue one is tipping over and leaking but could have solved by tying it down. Issue two was the fan was too small. Issue three was the cooler was too small so all the ice melted within an hour. Just all around it was too small and too much work for not enough results. Blower fan alone works better, doesn't cool the car down but it certainly cools me down lol

Airplane AC sounds interesting, never even considered that they may use different tech before. I'm going to have to do some research on those to see how they work. Thanks for the tip