View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
groar
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
groar's 2001 Scenic Modding Thread

Hi,

My wife and I are sharing two cars. Usually we are swapping at the beginning of the month, but since June she was letting me playing with Megane. She made me understand that she wants to drive Megane, so I have to drive Scenic (see 1st picture) from tomorrow.

With all the coroplast I found lately, I quickly built a lower grill block (see 3rd picture) for Scenic.

Before that I verified where is the radiator (see 2nd picture). The radiator is tall and wide, it's the black box on the second picture. The red boxes are openings to the radiator. The green box is the opening to the turbo's radiator, I don't use the turbo a lot but the dashboard doesn't have a light in case of turbo dysfunction. The blue box was already closed, but was deeeep.

Finally I basjoosed the fog lights (see 4th picture). The transparent tape I have isn't so transparent, but it should be enough for next weeks. Anyway, the fog lights aren't mandatory in France. I added a little sheet of coroplast at the left to fill a gap.

Scenic has an on-board computer with distance (km), total consumption (liter), average consumption (l/100km), instant consumption (l/100km) and average speed (km/h) since reset, which we do at tank re-fill. I will be able to see in real-time how it reacts . With these data I will be able to estimate rather precisely (<0.3l/100) the daily consumption, so I will keep a daily log that I will try to comment as precisely as possible.

Even if Scenic is a direct injection (dCi = diesel common rail) and has DFCO (Decelerating Fuel Cut Off), I will try to apply NICE-On Coasting (Coasting in Neutral with Engine On) which gives me good results with Megane.

I already pumped up the tires to 3.0 bar (43.5 psi) vs 2.3 bar (33.3 psi) on placard and 3.5 bar (50.8 psi) on sidewall. While pumping them up I saw that I will have to change them soon : the 2 front are nearly slick I should have kept an eye on them this summer !

I hope to be able to skyrocket Scenic's logs

Denis.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scenic.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1913   Click image for larger version

Name:	scenicRed.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1914   Click image for larger version

Name:	scenicLowerGrillBlockV1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1915   Click image for larger version

Name:	scenicLowerGrillBlockV1FogLight.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1916  
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.