View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
160-Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal268 View Post
I'm terrible at finding answers on the internet so I hope this hasn't already been answered but

My AC is currently broken so I had the idea to put a large blower fan (for ventilating a house while painting or something) in the passenger floor to cool me off. It seems to draw A LOT of power. It's currently hooked up to a 160watt inverter. I can really only use it for an extended time on the lowest setting, haven't tried the medium but on the high setting it'll trip the inverter to turn off cause it can cause the voltage readings to dip below 12 if I'm playing music at a high enough volume to hear over the blower and my sub hits too hard. I for certain can't use my headlights and the blower at the same time.

My question is, will this possibly impact my fuel economy the same as if I were just running the AC?
1) 160-Watts is a little over 2/10ths of a horsepower.
2) The belt-driven A/C compressor will pull 2-3-horsepower.
3) If you can keep your head and neck ventilated, you've got a shot at comfort.
4) If it's very humid, you'll never really be comfortable, without the dehumidification an A/C offers.
5) Any 12-VDC blower, out of any automobile, on 'high'-speed, would provide enough airflow to cool you, if it's going to happen at all. Losing the inefficiency of the inverter might make up the distance with the alternator output.

Postal268 (05-12-2022)