View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 03:52 PM   #48 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
When I was starting out it was physically impossible to relocate to a hot job market because I didn’t have the assets to obtain an apartment in said area and none of the jobs provided relocation assistance. Now that I don’t need any assistance I could get it, go figure.
The place I work found me, I didn’t find them, (never thought about working where I do if I hadn’t gotten a direct contact no idea what place I would have ended up)
I'll take that as a no - these people aren't willing to relocate.

Where there is a will there is a way. It isn't like a new grad has a whole house full of belongings to transport. Throw some clothes in the car, fill the tank, and go.

Quote:
From what I’ve been seeing 90% of the “engineering positions “ are contract, temp or managerial , which usually aren’t appealing or necessarily a good idea out the gate to a new grad.
Yes, many starting positions are contract. They are a great way to build a resume. Anyone not willing to take a contract job as a first engineering job isn't going to be very successful. Heck, I had to take a contract position to get into my current employer even with 15 years work experience.

Quote:
The new grads I’ve encountered (IE/ME) are just complaining about having to send hundreds of resumes but not getting any feedback or communication for periods of 6 months or longer. It’s unlikely out of the hundreds of thousands of companies they are finding the places that actually do take a chance on new engineers.
Lots of companies have automatic screening that discards anyone that has been out of work for more than 6 months. I saw this happen first hand when I took a year off when we moved to Oregon. For 6 months I got head hunter calls or emails on a regular basis and call backs from resumes I sent out. At 6 months almost to the day the calls and responses disappeared. These new grads need to get a job - any job they can find - to prove that they actually want to work. They can't just wait for their dream job. The longer they are unemployed the worse it looks to a potential employer. Unemployment is 3.6% and there are help wanted signs everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-09-2022)