View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
230 miles is the long range version? And 6 hours to charge it (90 minutes is for the 194 kWh version)? Oof!! I presume all of those miles are only available in the summer on a new battery too.

That would still work fine for some of the hyper local port haulers & fuel carriers, but buying an class8 EV with that little range is a lot of risk for a small fleet - it seriously limits your pool of customers. I had a buddy who hauled containers from Oakland to Fremont for a certain Solar/EV company. Then that company moved much of their production to Reno. 230 miles of range would have worked fine for the original contract, but wouldn't be sufficient for the modified contract a few years later...
Yes, 230 miles is the long range version. Freightliner has been running a test fleet with about 50 customers for 4 years. I’m sure they have the usage case nailed down. (Same as Ford saying the average fleet owned Transit only drives 74 miles a day)

It is 90 minutes to recharge any of the battery sizes 0 – 80% (Spec below from Freightliner’s website). However I doubt too many of these trucks will be fast charged instead of charged overnight.

These aren’t for small fleets. These are for the UPS, Fed EX, Ryder, Penske, Sysco, Coca-Cola of the world that operate huge fleets and track every route and truck and know their usage. There is a Sysco video on Youtube with them testing a preproduction eCascadia with the small battery and single axle. They say it can handle more than 50% of their routes on one charge. (Sysco has a 14,000 vehicle fleet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm curious what the maximum regen capability is, and what percent of braking is accomplished with regen vs friction brakes in typical operation? I would guess that a truck could avoid friction braking altogether when descending a steep grade of say, 6% fully loaded.
From the article linked above about 20 – 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
On flat ground, our dry vans needed about 100 horsepower to go 60mph which would be about 0.8 miles per kW. I wonder why Freightliner is only getting ~0.5 miles?
Stop, Start, Stop, Start, Stop, Start. These aren’t intended as highway cruisers. The fine print says the range is simply determined by the averaged achieved by the test fleet over those years of testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Oh, and are these trucks compatible with refers?
Yes. See the Sysco comment above. Reefers have fuel tanks on the trailer.

Something from the spec sheet I find surprising is the warranty. 5 years / 300K miles for the large battery but only 150K miles for the small battery.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eCascadia.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	32107  

Last edited by JSH; 05-10-2022 at 10:04 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-10-2022)