View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 11:53 AM   #261 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,732 Posts
benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Any benefits of extending rear spoiler like this? Horrible mock up shape obviously. But foot long extension should help a little right?
1) My opinion is that, it would increase drag.
2) Presently, the IONIQ rear spoiler just 'fits' at the boundary of the 2013, Aerodynamic Streamlining Template-III.
3) If you want to extend it, I'd recommend you follow Tesla's lead on their Model X.
4) At its debut, the Tesla Model X featured a 3-position, automatic rear spoiler, which rose up from behind the backlight.
5) At it's lowest drag setting, the spoiler was 'up' at the leading edge, and tilted downwards from there, with it's upper surface mimicking the contour of the 'Template', to the spoiler's trailing edge. This spoiler had freezing issues in 'Four-Season' environments, and was 'silently' retired from production.
6) If you've grabbed a 'blueprint' of your car by now, you could fit it under the 'Template' tool here at the Aero Forum, to inspect the angle I'm referring to.
7) If you want to compare the Aero 2002, Probe-V, VW H2 concept, M-B Boxfish, Chevy Volt-I, Ford EVOS concept, Jaguar C-X75 concept, Renault EOLAB, Tesla Model X, GAC ENO.146, LIGHTYEAR One, Mercedes-Benz IAA and EQXX extended tails to the 'Template', you'll find that they are exact fits.
8) It's what I recommend, short of spending hundreds of thousand of dollars at a wind tunnel.