View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 12:36 PM   #57 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
spoiler.......... diffuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
As for cooling, at current temperatures I postponed the idea of grille-blocking, but modifications to the ducting (or rather lack there of) are considered for the future, same as a flat underbody.
However due to the complexity involved in that, I won't be doing that now.
(also TÜV is coming up so I'll only do stuff they don't care about untill then)
As for the cooling intake, I am considering to fabricate a fiberglass insert for the bumper as well as some ducting inside.
Exausting it would likely work via the front wheels in that case as hood vents would cost me my trunk.

As for the spoiler, one as large as that would add a lot of drag.
My plans where going more in the direction of a small spoiler for a cleaner flow seperation as well as canceling out rear end lift.

The idea of adding a diffusor is tempting indeed, however due to drivetrain as well as exaust components, this would be complicated.
If the goal of the diffusor was to add significant downforce, it would need to extend quite a bit to the rear.
However my main goal here is drag reduction, so I won't need much of a diffusor.
1) The OEM rear spoiler terminates along the AST-III contour. Local streamlines have already 'widened', with lower velocity, and higher pressure. Any extension, unless angled downwards, will only constrict the streamlines, re-accelerate the flow, lower pressure, and increase base drag.
2) If you had a full belly pan, it looks as if an 'all-metal' diffuser, in full contact with the bottom of the tailpipe, would give you a 'slow' diffuser, best known for low drag.
3) Extending the B-Pillars ( the MR-2 doesn't have C-Pillars ) as flying buttresses, with plan-taper, as Ferrari and Lamborghini have used, along with a 'narrowed' rear spoiler could be even better.
These changes helped me get to Cd 0.235

Last edited by aerohead; 05-19-2022 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: add data