View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 10:37 PM   #59 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Yea transverse shaft drive doesn't really make much sense, it just reduces the amount of modification needed.

S1 Elises have to be imported and the S2s are way too valuable to modify, and it would need to be titled and registered in a state with no emissions regulations. I *could* use something besides a Lotus Elise but as far as I can see, the Elise is absolutely perfect: it has very well sorted suspension/brakes/steering, zero creature comforts and zero excess weight, and a lot of aftermarket support.

I'm already "borrowing" my parents' extra parking space and going to get yet another car, so there isn't really space for yet another car that just sits around, so I'm not motivated to go import a car. If people start importing more of them from the UK, I'll probably grab one. The Rover engine would probably be very valuable to someone else with an S1 in that case, and I imagine the lack of emissions certification means the prices will stay at a significant discount to S2s.

I believe it costs something like 15k to get a motorcycle engine fitted to a car with a chain drive, which these days is a huge bargain compared to trying to buy a used Lotus or a spicier Porsche. I kind of want to do the electric assist part myself because it seems very simple. I think I want to disassemble the transmission myself just for fun and to make sure it's feasible before committing, but I need some spare space which I won't have for another 2 years most likely.

The other project I want to do at some point is an electric 2 speed ultra-lightweight because I anticipate that future electric cars will prioritize speed and gizmos over fun, but I'm waiting on future battery chemistries for that.

Last edited by serialk11r; 05-20-2022 at 10:48 PM..