View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
seals & spats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprobertson1 View Post
I'm thinking of doing my first f few minor aero mods for my Ford C-Max, but Im wondering how much of an effect I'm likely to see?

Mod 1: sealing panels around the bonnet and headlamps. Plan is to use silicone tubing so it makes a flexible seal and can be replaced or removed with ease, but still deforms and seals.

Mod 2: front tyre spats - 3D printed, mostly hollow - bolted onto mudflaps and held onto the frame with strong magnets or adhesive, or even just another bolt)

My suspicion is that mod-1 will yield a small but noticeable difference, and mod-2 will be hardly noticeable at all.

What are your thoughts?
1) If there are no electronics behind the gaps, which might rely on air 'leakage' for cooling, then you could temporarily seal them with painter's tape to see if there's a 'showing'. Then go from there. Some bonnets have weatherstripping applied to their perimeters, which create a hidden seal when closed. Renault demonstrated a minor drag reduction sealing the nose of one of their research vehicles. No specific data was given, but your instincts are good!
2) For the 'spats,' are you talking about the plastic flow deflectors in front of the front and rear tires? Or some modification to mudflaps behind the tires?
cprobertson1 (05-23-2022)