View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 07:41 PM   #972 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
"The number one consideration of home buyers is the electrical bill."--some solar salesman

Some scheduler persuaded mom to waste her time today. Allegedly they wouldn't recommend signing up unless she would save money, but he started out saying "Many people are willing to pay more to save the environment."

Everyone has a different situation, but often it comes down to the power company not wanting you getting power from anywhere else, so they make you getting solar as undesirable as possible.

I have read that sometimes it is more cost effective to never tell your provider that you are getting solar, never set up two-way power, and just ground any excess solar.

They talk about saving 20%, but her bill averages $100 monthly.
They talk about how much you can save for how many years, but she told him she doesn't expect to live much longer, and he responded "Awesome."
He talked about her tax credit, but I pointed out she doesn't pay taxes.
I reminded her that having anyone besides Home Depot work on the roof voids her warranty and he said it would probably be okay, just not where the solar panels are.
So, they will be drilling into her roof and that part won't have a warranty anymore?

She mentioned the ROI of solar is generally 8 years--far longer than she expects to be around--and he said talking about ROI doesn't make sense when you don't buy up front. If you want to pay $30,000 cash then go ahead.

This says that if you have a $100 electric bill then you will need a 4.81 kW system, which would cost $12,698 before incentives, and $8,657 afterwards.

Those aren't even close!

APS doesn't offer net metering, but they do offer net billing, which doesn't save as much.

APS requires you to use time of use plans, but your panels would produce the most before 1500, while you would use the most and be charged the most after 1500, saving you less.

He said that if a home buyer is choosing between two homes they would choose the one with the lower energy bill.

You guys have multiple options when looking for a house?!

My brother's provider helps her dad with rentals and they have sold some.

Nobody ever asks about utility bills.

Even if you asked two sellers how much they pay, can you really compare two different families when you don't know how you would compare with either of them?

Due to the caveats I mentioned, I don't know if this is a good option, but it definitely is a better one!

APS limited-income customers now have access to rooftop solar