View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 11:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Drifter
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
Front cylinders. Lots of carbon build-up, clearly these cylinders were not taking on water even though the headgasket looked a bit rough (prior post).

Rear head gasket:

That head gasket didn't look bad to me (the coating hadn't eaten away from cylinder to coolant jacket like the front head gasket), but one of the back cylinders had much less carbon build-up than the others:

I'm guessing it was weeping when cold and sealing when warm - causing the rough cold starts but smooth warm driving.

Heads & block were flat within 0.001" so minimal warpage and still within spec.
Exhaust ports (valves) held water on the front head:

But most of the intake ports dribbled. The back head dribbled from both intake and exhaust.

This gave me pause. These piston markings don't look like the Toyota markings from the 80s & 90s engines I rebuilt in my youth:

They look like this photo from an advertisement of DNJ 0.045" over pistons:

...But the bore is the stock 92mm... So maybe it is just a photo of a stock piston? Dunno. My friends are goading me to pull the block and tear it down too. I'm reluctant - I'm hoping the valves will seal when I clean up the carbon (or, if not, after having a machine shop do a valve job).

Of course I am willing to disconnect the motor mounts in order to raise the engine enough to be able to remove & install a new control arm. The bushings aren't the worst I've seen, but the part is cheap and the 12-hour book time job will be much easier now

Pulling the engine wouldn't be that much extra. Tearing it down, on the other hand... And the garage already has been overwhelmed by HiHy parts I hope to keep track of:

Last edited by Drifter; 05-28-2022 at 11:14 PM..