View Single Post
Old 05-30-2022, 06:52 PM   #68 (permalink)
Drifter
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
Just got caught up with your videos - nice job with the camera work! I also had to spread apart the mounting flanges on my Curt receiver for my Tundra - I think it got bent a little in shipping, but I've had no problems once it was mounted...

I keep debating putting a receiver on my Prius and selling my Tundra. Using a cheap ~500lb 5x8 utility trailer I could keep 90% of my loads under 1,000 lbs. For example, my last pickup load was a junkyard engine that probably weighed 500 lbs. I'd save enough on registration & insurance to rent a pickup 1-2 x a year for the heavier stuff. But I'd really prefer to tow with something rated for 2000-3500 lbs (the Prius is rated for 0 lb in the US and ~1500 lbs in Europe) - especially since I'd see 110-120F temperatures on mild rolling hills at 55mph driving 100-200 miles at a time.

I also worry that the receiver would muck up the diffuser aerodynamics and scrape the ground leaving steep driveways when not in use. Since you keep such good track of your mpg I wonder if you'll see a decline because I assume it'll hurt aero more than your mirror helped...

PS: Did your Prius come with Firestone Champion Fuel Saver tires already? I've never bought a second hand vehicle with low rolling resistance tires already installed and always find myself debating throwing out perfectly good tires for marginal mpg gains...

PPS: I notice you blurred your license plate in the last video - if you're concerned about privacy I don't think you did so in the first video.

Last edited by Drifter; 05-30-2022 at 06:58 PM..