View Single Post
Old 06-02-2022, 01:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoVan
EcoModding Lurker

Its funny, everyone thinks of improving the front end aero, where its mostly the rear , underside and tires where the big gains are. It hard to sell cars with boattails, but the good designers are making virtual boat tails by sculpting the air before it leaves the vehicle. Its refreshing to see good engineers being listened to for a change. I just wish they would figure out how to make lighter vehicles, they just get heavier and heavier. I find it hard to believe that the improved safely features has added 40% or more weight to vehicle designs. An early 70's small block 2 dr Dodge Dart weighed about 2800 lbs, now the Charger, about the same size, weighs close to 4,000 lbs. I wonder what just the bare chassis weigh isfor the newer cars?

I''ll see how far and can get this van with daily driver type changes. Between my business partner and I, we have about 5 in service. I have the only diesel, the others get at best about 15 MPG on the highway. Just getting the time to do it can be tough, but I expect between the 5 vehicles we could save hundreds a month in fuel costs. I figure with my diesel I can probably save about $35.00/month, the other vans about double that.