View Single Post
Old 06-07-2022, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
I’ve definitely thought about this. My Ioniq blue has no insulation. Not even that cardboard like padding you mentioned. It’s just barely thin metal. The higher end ioniqs have some type of insulation under the hood actually. I think it’s for sound deadening though. Either way, I’ve thought about this for a while. Nice to know it actually works. Getting the engine to a warm temp is impossible in the winter time with city driving. Only on the interstate will it ever get warmed up, which on hybrids is also how it produces warm air. The first 15 minutes in single digit temperatures in winter going on ski trips around ski towns is horrible. I’ll be freezing cold and can see my breath in the car, and turning the heat on only blows cold air because the engine is so cold and turns off at every red light! It’s torture!!!

How safe is this for long road trips though? Sometimes I do drives they Arizona and Death Valley for hours and hours nonstop with 115 ambient temps in a black car. I had an engine overheat once in Georgia years ago on my old car so now I have ptsd about a too hot engine