View Single Post
Old 06-07-2022, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Talos Woten
Righteous Imaginarian

Champrius v3.2 - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 58.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
My Ioniq has active grill shutters so no need for engine grill block. They stay closed when they can, and open when they want air flow in them. The front belly pan has a few squat holes in it, which I figured was for oil changes and getting to engine areas at first, but I think some of them are also for air flow too. I’ve always debated on patching up the belly pan holes for better aero, but don’t know how much of a diff it would make.

The hood of the underside of my Ioniq is pure aluminum. So I def need to add some insulation. I’m also an audiophile. I added some kilmat and second skin thermal jute on the floors in the front of the car, and sound deadened the whole trunk and spare tire area. I just need to do underfloor of back seats and also the doors. In the winter, I can feel the cold air radiating thru the plastic on the side of the doors. Was also going to do the roof liner with heat insulation too some day
Ohhh... the luxury. If you have an active grille shutter system, then you have no worries doing whatever the hell you want to the engine bay. The radiator system will adjust automagically.

Belly pan holes are for multiple reasons: water drainage, debris clearing, servicing, visual inspection, aero, airflow, and resonance. Unless it's a choppy, flimsy piece of junk, you are probably better off not touching it. Some of the holes are probably there for exotic cases we don't normally think about, like sloughing snow from the engine compartment after driving through a drift or somesuch. Just my two sense.

Yah, Killmat made a huge difference when I put it in my car, especially the doors, wheel wells, spare wheel well, and engine wall. I also put some insulation in my doors when I did the Killmat, for exactly the same thermal leakage reason. Actually, I insulated the whole car, just for the comfort aspect.

If you do the insulation on the roof, consider adding a reflective radiant barrier first (with a gap), then normal resistive insulation underneath. It makes a -5F difference on a hot 90F day. I also painted my roof white, which while garish, also cools by -3F on a hot day (from a gray color). It would have a bigger delta from a black. I hear they make IR reflective paints nowadays, so that could also be an option if one wants both heat reflectance and aesthetic beauty. Personally, I don't care for the latter.

and ask in depth questions here:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post669277

The goal is 70 mpg this time around.

Stats from Champrius v3.2: