View Single Post
Old 06-09-2022, 06:40 PM   #323 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The only comfort I can provide is that, since 1974, I've never experienced any document supporting the notion that adding rear skirts could ever INCREASE drag, only the opposite.
If you choose to do any elongation at all, the skirts will be part of your insurance policy, delivering a healthy onset flow, a prerequisite, if any downstream pressure recovery is to be expected.
Even without elongation, you're limiting turbulence, which is pure entropy. 'Poison' to mpg.
i agree that they cant hurt. i think car designers have gotten a lot better at limiting the drag that occurs from the back wheels versus decades ago. so wheel skirts still can give improvements, just not as big as on an older model car. for instance, the light year one car says the wheel skirts can be optional and only provide 15 extra km of range. or about 10 miles. thats barely anything, but its something! im definitely going to go thru with the rear wheel covers, and then after that i can actually add a mini box cavity flare thing coming off the back of it to creat a separation edge at the lower part of the car. ill post mock up pics when it stops raining and i can tape them on. right now im trying to reduce the sound of wind noise where my side mirrors were but since took them off
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-13-2022)