View Single Post
Old 06-12-2022, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'm not even sure I can regularly get ahold of heavier fuels in New Zealand - diesels seem to be on the way out, there. I'll keep an eye out though. It would certainly be interesting, though the tuning might be out of my reach.
There is not such an overwhelming demand for Diesel-powered cars there, and at least until around 2011 there were still some gasser versions of the Mazda-derived Ranger sold there and the Isuzu-sourced Holden Colorado, yet Diesel is still more usual for trucks and SUVs than for cars there. As fuel and road tax are charged in a different way between Diesel fuel and gasoline, with Diesel being exempted from road tax at the fuel stations, road tax was charged on a way which seems too annoying for most New Zealanders to be willing to deal with.

Quote:
You might find Mazda's newer Skyactiv-X engine to be of interest. It's a gasoline direct injected engine that uses compression ignition, like a diesel. It has a very high 16:1 static compression ratio, and controls compression ignition both with a supercharger and by running extremely lean.
The tuning might be an issue but, as I guess you remember, both Mercury and Evinrude were able to make kerosene-fueled outboard motors for the military, and at least the Evinrude ones could also resort to Diesel fuel for a short time at an emergency.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Ecky (06-12-2022)