View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
floor and tailgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
There is a history from before your join date. I wouldn't follow an aerohead post with a reference to the other party involved, out of respect.

I've never understood whether the front wall under the half-tonneau is necessary or not. Is the pressure at the floor of the bed and at the tailgate similar or different?
Both are exposed to the core's tornadic low pressure.
Low pressure exposed to the floor might imply 'lift', however, the slower, higher pressure air, decelerating down the rear of the locked-vortex, slams into the top rear of the tonneau, appreciably behind the rear axle, creating a positive aerodynamic moment arm ( torque ) as Wolf Heinrich Hucho discusses in his 2nd-Edition.
Rear lift is significantly reduced, along with drag.
The Cd 0.315, GMC S-15, 'Syclone on the Salt,' used the patented 1/2-tonneau as part of the aero kit which helped it secure a land speed record at Bonneville. 210+ mph.
And considering that they started @ Cd 0.475, that's a pretty good hat trick!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The US Patent mentions the 'partition' which was tested underneath the tonneau. If it had any significance, it didn't stick in my shriveling mind.
freebeard (06-20-2022)