View Single Post
Old 06-22-2022, 09:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Talos Woten
Righteous Imaginarian

Champrius v3.2 - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 58.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
My 2006 Prius just had the inverter coolant pump fail recently at 265k miles. Same code you have P0A93, but I didn't have any other codes with it. I was able to validate the pump wasn't running, and I swapped it with one from another Prius I happen to have ($500 beater/parts car, cats were stolen). Anyway, swapping the pump was a bit of a pain mainly because of the tight working area, but besides that it was pretty easy to do with just basic hand tools. It looks like the valve is in a similar location. A new OEM pump is around $110, aftermarket (probably Chinese) is $25 if I remember right. I've always been a DIYer though and it helps my dad was a mechanic, so I grew up around fixing cars and such.

Good luck with the repairs, sounds like pretty simple issues to get solved, but might be expensive to pay someone else to do them.
Hah! Champrius just broke 280k. Maybe the inverter system failing around now was planned obsolescence.

Hmmm... you raise an exceptionally good point, though. My options aren't limited to a) pay lots of money for repairs or b) get a new car. I could take option c) attempt repairs myself on a car I was going to junk otherwise anyway. That's definitely a lower cost option, and if I get lucky and don't screw anything up, potentially just as good.

I'm still going to take the car in and get it diagnosed professionally, as I need to know whether the problem is with the valve and/or the pump. But after that depending on the situation, I might (ahem) take matters into my own hands.

Thanks ps2fixer! If I royally hork my car, it will be because of the bright ideas you placed in my head.

and ask in depth questions here:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post669277

The goal is 70 mpg this time around.

Stats from Champrius v3.2: