View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Talos Woten
Righteous Imaginarian

Champrius v3.2 - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 58.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Korff recommended that the net opening be as 'wide' as the radiator, 1/6th the radiator height, and the interconnecting, diverging ductwork be at least one radiator height in length.
To eliminate a vena contracta entry loss ( which invisibly chokes off the airflow) all sides of the opening are bell-mouthed. ( I used a 1" radius for Bonneville and highway )
Hey aerohead!

Wowsers, thanks for the technical specifics! It turns out that I've reduplicated the wheel here. My radiator is 26" W x 12" H = 312 sq in. I found by experimentation that the lowest inlet I can safely go to is ~ 50 sq in, which lo and behold is 1/6th the height by the width. I was planning on making a 24" x 3" inlet (constrained by the 2ft piano hinge I could find) and then narrowing to around 2 inches = ~ 48 sq in. But I wanted the extra 24 sq in for extreme cases (like I drive through the desert or there is a heat wave or something).

Hmmm... this has inspired me. I'm going to ditch the hinges and go to a different design. What I've really been struggling with is how to make a rounded nose tip just like an airplane. I should stop fuddling around trying to simulate one and just get something close to one. I could probably take a 3" or 4" PVC pipe, cut it in half, and use that as the leading edge. I could probably repurpose the other sections as "wideners" for the bell mouth.

Okay. Thanks a bunch everyone. We can close this thread... I now have a clear vision of what I'm going to do. It's going to be awesome!

and ask in depth questions here:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post669277

The goal is 70 mpg this time around.

Stats from Champrius v3.2:
The Following User Says Thank You to Talos Woten For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-23-2022)