View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 09:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Drifter
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
Right, but I would not think a 10 degree difference in the intake temp would increase mileage nearly 10%.

There is a lot of noise in the data from one tank to another. Outdoor environmental conditions can have a dramatic effect. My bicycle has a power meter and I try to ride at a steady 180-200 watts most rides. On the same route, that might be 12-14 mph in a severe headwind or 22-24 mph in a tailwind. Those conditions are obvious, but a lot of the time there is a slight crosswind I can't perceive and end up looking at my tires wondering if they're losing air and that's why I'm goin 16-18 instead of 18-20..

Quote:
Peak IATs were the same, just took longer the one log to get up to temp being slightly colder that day. If that small drop in IAT made that big of a difference I need to do a lot more work to dropping my IATs since I have been typically running 40-50 degrees over ambient with light cruising.
It is probably worth doing further testing. Normally higher IATs should lower pumping losses since your throttle will be open more for the same power output, but they might reach a point where they cause your computer to pull timing to prevent detonation.

Were you driving with the A/C turned off for both tests?