Thread: Hybrid vehicles
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshock View Post
Actually it was scaled to other brands:
Ford, Mazda, Nissan - all of them used Toyota's hybrids (at some point of time).
I know other brands used that design, but we don't see pickup trucks or SUVs. Wondering if it's too costly to engineer strong enough for larger applications?

Two of my friends come to mind as being particularly rough on auto transmissions because they treat the throttle like an on/off switch. They will mash it, causing the car to downshift and accelerate until they realize they are going too fast, then let off the pedal completely until speed falls below how fast they want to go, and the process repeats. One of them says Toyota and Ford make great cars but terrible transmissions, because they have had to replace 4 transmissions. At some point a reasonable person might think it's not the car...

All of this to say that I expect the Prius drivetrain to survive a bit better with that kind of abuse. In fact, I steered one friend to purchase a Ford C-Max to avoid future transmission issues, and to compensate for her speed up / slow down driving style.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!